- This event has passed.
GCC Simple Cooking: 水晶虾饺 Crystal Shrimp Dumplings & Potato pancakes (Chinese style)
Cooking can provide many practical skills, such as reading, following directions, and measuring. The pride and confidence that comes with mastering the finished product after cooking is even more meaningful. The art of cooking can often be found as therapeutic for many.
水晶虾饺 Crystal Shrimp Dumplings
虾饺粉 或木薯粉 1 1/2cups
麻油 1/4 Tsp
Ha Gou powder or Cassava starch 1 1/2 cups
Green bean and diced carrot & corn 1 cup
Cooking wine 1/4Tsp
White pepper 1/4Tsp
Sesame oil 1/4Tsp
Steamed fish sauce 1/2Tsp
Hot water 1 cup
Check out this link. It’s a flour guide on the types of flours we’ve talked about.
Potato pancakes (Chinese style)
* 3 medium Russet or Idaho potatoes peeled
* 2 Tbs corn starch with 1/3 cup water
* 1 Scallions (chopped)
* Handful of dry mushrooms or dry shrimps – soak with water to soften, drain and chopped
* 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
* salt & black pepper for seasoning
* Boil potatoes in the pot of water until soft and then mash
* Mix the mashed potato with scallions, corn starch water, shrimps or mushrooms
* Season with salt and black pepper. Using wooden spoon or hands, mix well, but do not overwork, just nice and soft.
* Over moderately high heat, heat 2 tablespoon oil on a pan until hot but not smoking.
* Drop 4 scant 1/4-cup portions of potato mixture into pan and flatten with spatula to form four 3-inch pancakes.
* Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes, then turn over and fry until golden-brown and crisp, an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
* Transfer to paper towels to drain; season immediately with salt and pepper. Keep warm on baking sheets in oven while making remaining pancakes.
* Using paper towels, carefully wipe out pan and adding 2 tablespoons of oil before each batch.
* Repeat with remaining batter.